Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Post surgery

For my first post I wanted to share how Alex is doing since his surgery. First of all, I'm happy to report that he is back on schedule and bedtime is no longer a fight. For some reason, when we came home from our two night stay in the hospital Alex had the hardest time staying asleep. We attributed it to his pain and gave him prescribed morphine. He had really weird reactions to it. For example, he became extremely hyper. Of course I found this kinda funny since he would clap his hands uncontrollably and grimaced like crazy. End with the morphine.
I can't help but look at Al and see his ears sticking out. We were told they would go back to normal but it's funny, I sort of like them like that. Another surprise post-surgery is his head. I was not aware that I would be able to feel the implants so well. Rubbing his head feels like I am rubbing a robot. Again, very cute for some reason. The implants which are between his skull and skin feel so big, they take up half the sides of his head.
Now we are awaiting the first activation. For now, I am enjoying the quiet little squeaks Alex makes and the loud screeches. I am taking in all of Alex before he gets activated, becomes a sponge and I will never have a moment of silence again because I'm told kids talk a lot. lol.
I would truly be honored if you decide to follow my blog and share in this journey with my family and I. I will do my best to report Alex's goals in language development and communication. I will also try and keep current with all that surrounds the deaf and hard of hearing community. Thanks again for taking the time to read and share this blog with anyone you feel would find it useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment