Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Al's progress with hearing (cochlear implants)



I was at Canadian Tire earlier this week and was pushing Alex in a cart. As we were walking down an aisle, I stopped in front of a huge framed mirror so Al could look at his reflection. I stood there staring at my son's reflection and had a major realisation that he is no longer a baby. His legs dangled off the seat and seemed to go forever ending at his shoes which were laced up and seemed so grown up. I've been told by some that Alex is really developing a personality in the last couple months and as I observed his silly faces he was giving himself I realized it too.

On a hearing note, Alex misses his ears when they are not on. Since we don't have the magnet screwed in very tight, the coils often fall off, especially when Alex takes a spill, knocks his head or accidentally catches them with his hands. Whenever they do fall off, he comes running to an adult immediately to have them re-attached. He also covers his ears (the real ears) with his hands and then turns his palm upward to say: No hearing?

He is vocalising a lot, much of the time the same sounds. As you see in the video, he points to stickers on the wall and vocalises because he knows there is a sound associated with them, he just hasn't gotten the hang of it yet. What's awesome is you also hear him say bye to his dad while he is on the tractor. And yes, I did falls on my bum while taping and at the end of the video he did run me over...good times!

No comments:

Post a Comment